Want to Write for Us?
A. Torquere Press, the first GLBT Romance epublisher, is open to GLBT romance submissions in all categories. We do have a few new special calls that allow for het romance as well so check the calls out. Click here for current open anthology and special calls.
Torquere Press focuses on GLBT romance. We publish all the sub-genres of romance -- paranormal, contemporary, western, suspense, etc.. We do require a happy ending, whether that ending is happily ever after or happy for now.
All submissions must contain gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender characters (unless fitting in to one of the special calls that allow otherwise). While works do not need to be graphic, they must contain romance and focus on the interaction between characters. Acceptance preference will be given to stories with fully realized romances and a high level of sensuality.
All manuscripts must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment in either .doc, .txt, or .rtf format.
Novel for paperback contract consideration 60,000 words to 100,000 (due to costs involved, manuscripts over 100,000 words will be considered on a case by case basis for print)
- Novel - 45,000 words and up
- Novella - 20-45,000 words
- Novelette - 10-20,000 words
- Short Stories - Under 10,000 words (minimum 3000 words). For open calls see our Special Calls page.
All submissions must
- be spell checked and edited for grammar.
- be single spaced with a space in between paragraphs. Indents at the beginning of paragraphs are not necessary. Any submissions with severe formatting problems (ie: blocks of text with no paragraph breaks, illegible fonts) will not be read.
- labeled in subject line of email as a submission, and include the anthology name if applicable
- include a word count and a brief synopsis of the work.
- all spelling should be in American English
- include a short bio of the author along with the author's full contact information. Authors may use a pseudonym for their work, but we will need full legal names and contact information for contracts. Please make sure author byline is in the story file, as well. Example: Story, by Joe Smith. All information will be kept in the strictest confidence.
- Include a marketing plan. Examples for marketing plans: explain your website/social media/advertising plan for the book.
We are primarily looking for homoerotic stories in all genres. We are not looking for sex without characterization. Plotty, sensual character-driven novels are our focus. We are currently actively seeking stories in the spectrum of GLBTQU. Characters that are non-binary are welcome as well. We do have some calls that allow het romance as well.
We will not accept stories with pedophilia; incest or those containing rape for titillation or other gratuitous violence. We will not accept stories with bestiality (relationships with animals occurring in natural life not including shapeshifters). Forbidden Love Line has opportunties that may fall outside these guidelines.
We will also reject stories that are clearly a copyright infringement, including any that have been converted from fan fiction or that are based on TV shows, movies, or literary characters. We do accept simultaneous submissions, however we require you to update us if there is any interest in your submission from another publisher or if it is accepted elsewhere. We do accept multiple submissions.
Unsolicited manuscripts are accepted at any time. Please remember, however, that current projects take precedence, and while we will acknowledge all submissions in a timely manner, it may take some time for one of our editors to review your work. Please allow 3-8 weeks for a response.. All accepted works will need to be provided to us as an electronic file, and please note we are now using electronic contracts.
To see our sample contract, click here.
We pay first-time authors a royalty rate of 45% of the net sale from books sold on the Torquere Books site, and 35% of monies received from our distributors' sites, paid quarterly. Distributor sales are not paid until we receive payment from that seller. Print books pay 25% royalties on net monies received from our distributors. Once an author has a proven sales record with us, incentives may be offered on further contracts Anthologies pay a flat fee, payable upon publication. For anthology payment, please see each individual calls for fiction, here.
On most contracts we ask for exclusive electronic rights for 2 years. On novel-length books we ask for exclusive print and electronic rights for 3 years. Most anthology contracts are first-publication electronic rights for 2 years.
Torquere Press, LLC
Romance for the Rest of Us™